I had envisioned this a picnic blanket from the start, so I thought it would be cute to style these photos a little.
I wish I could tell you the pattern I used. It was in a book I got from the library. I copied the pages and returned the book not realizing that the name of the book wasn't on any of the pages. It's pretty basic, though, a pattern isn't really necessary - the blocks are 7" finished and alternated white and 9 patch.
I quilted in straight lines a scant 1/4" on both sides of all the seams.
I had originally planned on quilting more in the white areas, but as you can see here, I didn't do that. I think it is okay as it is
I am afraid of messing it up. I did practice some free motion flowers and with a little confidence, can add them later. I found the 40wt. Aurifil thread gave the best results on these. I had some orange from the sample pack I won, but I would stitch them in white on the quilt to add subtle interest and texture.
|Practice free motion flowers|
I was trying to mimic the forget me knots in the larger print in the flower on the right.
I debated over which print to use for the back, but ultimately chose the seapod stripe because I love it so much.
It will be interesting to see if I actually use this for a picnic - I don't think I want to get it dirty!!
Finished size - 49" square
Fabric - Flea Market Fancy - Denyse Schmidt, white Kona cotton
binding - red scallop stripe, Ruby - Bonnie & Camille
Batting - warm and white cotton
Pieced and quilted with Aurifil Mako 50 wt. in white
I am linking up today with these fun linky parties:
I hope you all have a fun and relaxing weekend!!
~ Tessa Marie