Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Finished Baby Quilt and a Pattern

Hello friends! I hope you are all having a productive January. There's no better way to get you through the cold weather than huddling by the warmth of your sewing machine!
                                                             
My first finish of the year is brought to you today by SewLux Fabrics. The online shop is owned by my friend Chrissy and her mother, Linda. Recently, Chrissy asked me if I would like to make a shop sample quilt out of the new line from Tanya Whalen, aptly named Rosey. She said the fabric made her think of me - don't you just love when your friends "know" you!

I asked her for a quarter yard of each of the twelve fabrics in her shop and made this sweet strip quilt featuring three blocks of little cottages.




I really wanted this to be a beginner-friendly quilt. The strips are perfect for becoming accustomed to cutting with a rotary cutter and mat and the sewing is straight lines. The cottage blocks are comprised of simple piecing that I am confident a beginner can do.




The quilting is done on my Babylock Tiara - an allover medium meandering stitch for the main parts of the quilt, and within the cottages, a much smaller stipple with some freehand shapes. The frames were left bare to let them pop out a bit.




On the back, this gorgeous print from the collection!! I am sure the photo is not doing it justice - I gasped the first time I saw it!! I like a pieced back, but a fabric like this deserves to be front and center (well, I guess it is back and center).




I wanted to do something a little extra for this quilt, so I have written a pdf pattern for it! It's a first for me and I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. It will be available through Craftsy, but the best part is that Chrissy is offering it for free with the purchase of the fabric bundle!! Awesome!



Click here to see the kit with free pattern at Sew Lux Fabrics.
Click here to see the pattern on Craftsy.


Quilt Story:
Finished size 40" x 50"
Strips and cottages fabrics - Rosey by Tanya Whelan for Free Spirit Fabrics
Cottage background fabric - Bella solid, Bleached White
Cottage block borders and binding - Bella solid, Peony
Pattern - "Rose Cottage" by The Sewing Chick - that's me!
Batting - Warm and White 100% cotton
Pieced with Aurifil 50wt. Cotton Mako thread
Quilted with Superior Masterpiece Cotton thread



Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday, TGIFF at Quilty Habit and Confessions of a Fabric Addict's Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

Thanks for visiting - I am so grateful for all of you!!

Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

20 comments:

  1. A wonderful quilt! Love the pattern. Love the solid pink around the house blocks. Congratulations on your first finish of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.... very sweet. I love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a lovely collection pf fabrics and you have crated a real beauty with them

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern and these fabrics! I thought of you when I saw this fabric line too. This pattern is adorable. Here's to many more patterns to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute houses! Congrats on the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt, congratulations on your pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I absolutely LOVE the quilt and the fabrics! Congrats on your first pattern! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable little cottages! That pattern is a wonderful way to show off all those fabulous prints! Well done, Tessa Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty quilt - I love anything with roses - and a great quick and easy design

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty quilt! I also like how you designed the front page of your pattern, still playing with ideas for mine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a beautiful quilt! Such intricate quilting too. I love those fabrics and the houses are adorable. Congratulations on writing your first pattern too, the cover looks fantastic xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this is precious. The prints are splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so fun that I happened on your blog, visiting from Finish It Up Friday and I saw your design/kit from the email I got from Sew Lux Fabrics! It's a gorgeous quilt! You are very talented! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on making this into a pattern! The houses are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pattern!! Love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the colors. I am always drawn to pink , the fabrics are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A charming little quilt Tessa Marie, I love the shabby chic style! And the shot with the pink bird house is priceless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable pattern Tessa! And the fabric really is "you", isn't it?! I'm going to have to pick your brain on the pdf pattern writing...I've been wanting to make some myself for awhile now.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this pattern and this fabric! Both go together so well! How do you like your Tiara? I have a Sweet Sixteen Sit Down and I think they're pretty much the same machine. I love mine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought I commented on this one but maybe not. Love the fabric and the quilt..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...