Friday, February 28, 2014

Layer Cake Sampler QAL


Last Friday kicked off the Layer Cake Sampler Quilt Along at Material Girl Quilts. Amanda showed us a fantastic way to make eight half square triangles from two layer cake squares - four seams, four cuts, eight HST's {see it here}.  It is quick, easy and all the outer edges are on the straight of grain.  Some methods create HST's with bias edges which can can stretch and ripple.

She showed us the layouts for blocks one and two. Here are mine in Sweetwater's Road 15 fabrics.







Now, as this is a layer cake, I have only have one square of each fabric. I am trying to not be too obsessive about which fabrics I use in each block. Some may be high contrast, some may be monochromatic. When the blocks are all done and sewn together, the colors will all balance out and all will be well. I am telling you this because I am already second guessing the choice of black in the first block!! Relax girl!!

I'd like to point out that both blocks have a directional fabric in them. I usually forget this, but it is a good idea to consider the direction when making HST's. In block #1, I mixed the direction of the fabric (the black one) because I thought it would be more interesting. Whereas, in block #2, I wanted the stripe in the red fabric to be continuous and placed the HST's accordingly. I don't believe there is a steadfast rule about this, just do what you like and be consistent.

Check out Amanda's post today,  blocks 3 and 4 are up and look great.



*****************************


I am always super happy when a reader has used a tutorial of mine or been inspired by one of my projects. I got an e-mail this week from Cathy who shared this pillow she is making based on my Noel Pillow.


Photo courtesy of Cathy T.


Isn't it great? She also wants to make one for Mother's Day that says "mom".  How cute would that be?!
If you ever make anything with one of my tutorials, please send me a picture, I would love to see it!!

Have a great weekend and Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. such a great way to make half square triangles, had a go straight away, am now going to work out what size squares need to be for different sized triangle well I will try to

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...