Friday, February 21, 2014

Teacup Block Tutorial



Super cute and super fast!! This is a pieced block - no paper and no templates. The finished size is 6" (with seam allowances it is 6 1/2").

Each teacup is made from three fabrics plus a background fabric. A rotary cutter, ruler and mat are recommended for making the cuts. All seam allowances are 1/4".

Using the following diagram, cut your pieces to size.




Place the 1" background squares on the lower corners of the 4" square. Draw diagonal lines as pictured and sew on the lines. Use a short stitch length. Trim seams to 1/4" and press open.



Place a 1 1/2" background square on each end of the saucer piece, draw diagonal lines as pictured and sew on the lines. Trim seams to 1/4" and press open.




For the handle, sew the pieces together in the order shown in the next two pictures. Refer back to the cutting diagram for the sizes of the pieces.





Then...




Now, assemble the components by sewing them together in the order pictured below, Press seams 1 and 2 towards the teacup. Press seams 3 and 4 away from the teacup.




Ta-da!! This can be used as a single block, a center for a larger block, or make a bunch of them and sew them together!





Here's a few sewn together, you can see the handle better with the seam allowance taken up.




I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial. Please contact me with any questions!

Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! Thank you so much for sharing! I've been planning to make mug rugs for some teacher (daycare/preschool) gifts as our little one is "graduating" to "big school" this year and trying to figure out what pattern/design to use and pattern will be perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another block to add to my "to do" list many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tutorial- I want to make this today and use it for a make up bag. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! And I love that it's not paper-pieced. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!! Love the block and I' m planning to use this for a tea-cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    The best sewing chick:I liked your creativity and passion about tea cups.I can easily guess that you guys are really deserve for quality idea of creating such a nice tea sets through clothes. Right...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a million! This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very cute! Love it as the fact that it is not paper pieced. I will have a go this afternoon at making a block or two. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to make this today but made a mess of it, found the tiny pieces really hard to work with, but I was probably in too much of a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this as I collect tea cups and have them on a plate rail all the way around my dining room. I would love to make a table runner or small table centerpiece for my dining room. Has anyone made the cup all in the same color?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...