Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Making Scrap Fabric

With the Sew South Retreat just a couple of weeks away, I am busy getting ready! One of the classes requires a half yard of fabric made from scraps. I can't tell you how much fun I had doing this.



I dumped my scraps out and picked out some favorites, then cut them into squares and rectangles.
 The largest is about 4" x 5"




 I wasn't really sure how I was going to go about sewing them together, but once I got started, I found this method to work well.

I started by sewing any two scraps together, not caring if they were of equal length. I chain pieced these to save time, until I had eight to ten pairs. Then I pressed and trimmed one edge so that it was straight.




I then sewed the pairs together so that there were four scraps in each group. Again, I didn't matter if they were of different lengths, I sewed and then trimmed afterwards.




In some cases, I added a piece to make them fit together.




As the pieces got larger, I continued to add and trim to make them all fit - it was a bit like pieces of a puzzle.
This process yielded a piece about 14" x 18", so I repeated it twice to have one large piece that is 18" x 42".
I always prefer to sew in small pieces and then put them all together, it's just easier to manage.




There was some editing of course, and some scrap sets didn't make the final cut. Sad, yes, as I wanted to use all my scraps, but I think this is a technique I will be using again!! Wouldn't it make a cute totebag?


half a yard of new fabric made from scraps


Now I am off to tidy up the sewing room, these scrappy projects make such a mess!!

Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. I've done this before and it WAS a lot of fun. It's such an interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it would make a great bag! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try to do the same thing! So excited to meet you at Sew South!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bright colors in the patchwork. A tote bag and matching purse would look great in this. Your technique is very interesting-I always thought the scraps needed to be the same size and I was put off by all the cutting needed-this is brilliant. Something I could use, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. so pretty; i love all those colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the tute. I have been wanting to do something with my low volume fabrics and this has the improv feel that I want. So you are my inspiration. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. good way of using scraps, i am saving tiny ones to make into fabric, anything 1" or bigger goes into a special pot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quilting is always a labor of love but using scraps (actually the ironing part of that process) doubles the "love" part! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay... I'm ready to tackle this project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks great! I love all your scrap fabrics. I wonder what you are going to make on your retreat, sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a cool technique and the end product could be used for many things. Thank you so much for sharing your step by step process.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this. I save all my tiny bits too...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...