Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Because One is Never Enough


I am getting together with a group of sewing girlfriends this weekend and it was decided that we would do a swap of mini items. There are ten of us, so that meant sewing up ten of these adorable little coin purses.

The pattern is called UR Priceless and is available on Craftsy from Mdm Samm by Sew Me and You. I chose the pattern because I like how the gusset gives it a nice rounded shape. The frames are just 1.5" x 3" and were purchased from WhileBabyNaps on Etsy. The pattern calls for sew in frames, but I have used the ones that you glue in. I use Gutermann HT2 glue, also from WhileBabyNaps.









Because I was making so many, I experimented with different stabilizers. Thinking that Pellon's Thermolam might be too stiff and bulky, I used a lighter weight fusible fleece that I got in a gift bag at Sew South 2014. It came in a package that I had already tossed so I don't know the brand (any Sew Souther's reading this that can help me out?) but it has a softer hand than the Thermolam. The above left used that one. Then I tried fusible quilt batting on the above right purse. It was almost too soft resulting in a smaller, squishier purse. I wish you could feel them to see the difference! I then switched to the Thermolam and decided that it probably was the best choice after all. Although, now that they are all finished, I like the look of the one with the unknown fleece the most and it fit the frame the best.




They went together fairly easily. Because they are small, they are a bit fiddly and turning them right side out through a small opening was just more than I could take. One, fine, but ten, ughh!! So instead of sewing the lining and outside right sides together and turning, I sewed them wrong sides together with a 1/4 seam and then trimmed close to the stitching line. It is going in a frame anyway, right? There is a little bit that shows at the hinge so I stitched a close zig zag over that area. You can sort of see that in these open views.


I don't think any two of these turned out exactly alike. Each time, I fiddled with it differently and tried to make it go together better. Some of them fit into the frame better than others, but that is fine, I think my friends will like them and that is what matters!

I am so looking forward to seeing my girls this weekend - sewing with friends is the best!!

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.

Fresh Poppy Design

Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

23 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I were one of your 'girls!' - they will be over the moon with these...I love Mdm Samm's patterns...I've only ever made one little purse (her Tammy Bag) with a metal frame...wowee...there are frames to "glue" and not sew? I LIKE that! You've made just the most adorable little purses...love every one! Hope someone will be able to help you discover what the 'mystery' fleece is. Great idea on the 'ziggy zag' - of course YOU know how you changed that...I doubt anyone would give it a thought...looks great! Thanks so much for sharing...I'm inspired now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa,
    These are adorable! Most of all I love your idea of sewing them wrong sides together. Are these glued into the frame?
    Sew cute. xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you give your friends a change to choose they will be in trouble! These are all Super cute and I love how you have mixed Fabrics and even the linings are different! I would want all of these! Great photos, too! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are adorable and I know that they shurma gals are going to love them

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are so adorable! I one day have to make some of my own....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute, cute, cute! What lucky friends! I recently attended a workshop on framed purses and the instructor did not have us put a finished edge into the frame, but thought it was best to glue in the raw edges - that the glue actually sticks better this way. But the glue! Oh what a mess I make every time I glue one of these. I don't know how you did 10 - except that if the option was to sew them in - glueing would definitely beat that. Have fun with your friends! I can't wait to see what you receive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a whole bunch of super cutie coin purses!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure your friends will love them such variety, just hope there is no squabbling over who has which one! I always imagine it is difficult to attach the frames so have never attempted one myself

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very sweet - what a labour of love:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg!!! Love! You're so talented my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh!!!! These are the sweetest little coin purses I have ever seen, you are such a talented young lady! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tessa these are so adorable! Your friends are going to love them and you will have so much fun! I tried to make this and it was a hot mess! lol! I need a lesson. What I received in my swag bag at Sew South was Fusible Fleece 1 by the Warm Company. That might be what you used. Have a great weekend sewing and be sure to share on IG!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jag älskar allihopa (in swedish) = I love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sew cute Tessa! I love how they came together. Enjoy your girl time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable. I hope you guys have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ummmm, these are just too adorable! You did an awesome job. I know everyone will squeal with delight for these goodies:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I fully agree with Paula, I think I'm going to craftsy and get Mdm. Samm's pattern . I'm think stocking stuffers I started following your blog and on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tessa, those are just adorable! I'm going to have to make these too. I loved the one I saw Di had made at Sew South.
    I think that fusible you're talking about was a new product from the Warm Co. They sent packages of batting and things for swag bags so that must have been from them.
    Hope things are great your way and that you had a great time with the girls!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...