Monday, July 14, 2014

Postage Stamps and Crosses




For the month of June, the Trust Circle of do.Good Stitches was given the task of making a block made from 100 2" squares. We were to use low volume fabrics and incorporate several blue crosses. If we wanted to, we could use the fusible interfacing method, and as I have been wanting to try it, I was in!! There are many tutorials on the method, but we used this one because it has the crosses and the 2" squares.

I used Pellon Sheerweight fusible interfacing and drew a 2" grid on the non-fusible side - the lines were dark enough that they showed through (I used a Sharpie which may have not been a good idea as it gave off some wicked fumes when I pressed it). I laid out the crosses first and then filled in with the low volume squares...

Like the ducky press cloth? That was to ensure the Sharpie didn't transfer to my pressing board! It didn't.

Once all the squares on the grid are covered, I gently pressed to fuse all the squares in place. Work in sections and be sure to lift and press the iron. This picture shows the pressing completed.




Then came the fun part! When I folded back each row to stitch, I was pleased at how crisply the fold was. There was no need to press or pin!! After the rows were stitched in one direction, I used a rotary cutter and trimmed about 1/16th of an inch to open up the seams.




So far, so good! To stitch the seams in the other direction, I folded right sides together and then did give the seam a light press before stitching (there is more bulk from the first seams), but still no pinning was needed.
The worst part of using this method was pressing all the seams open as it was more tedious that pressing to one side. The perfectly matched points more than made up for it though, and I actually prefer the nice, flat look of the open seams!



This block measures 15 1/2" square and is on its way to Liz who will make the blocks into a quilt! To learn more about do.Good Stiches, visit the Flickr page.

I will definitely be using this method again!!

Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. So pretty! I've just done something similar but with pink crosses. Love the blue with the low volume, I definitely need to buy more blues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this has worked beautfully, I do not usually do blue but love your crosses and have pinned it to my board

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous block! I definitely need to add more low volume to my stash. Can't wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous!!! makes me want to sew right now!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...