Friday, August 1, 2014

Patchwork Rainbow Duffle Bag



I can finally share this patchwork duffle bag that I recently made for the Sew Sew Modern 5 swap on Flickr. My partner asked for a duffle bag in a rainbow of colors so I didn't want to share pictures before she received it so as not to spoil the surprise!!

It began with Simplicity pattern #2600 because I really liked the shape of the rounded ends. Of course I had to make some amendments to the pattern to accommodate the patchwork and because I have a habit of thinking patterns can always use a little tweaking! All the fabrics came from my stash and I pre-quilted the pieces with a 1" grid.


I put outside pockets on both sides of the bag because a pocket is the perfect place to showcase something special like these stars.




The end pockets got the star treatment, too!

I shortened the side panels and added a bottom panel of dark canvas. This eliminated the annoying center bottom seam and the canvas will hopefully be more durable as well as hide any dirt.



For the straps, I used the same dark canvas as the bottom and added a carefully cut strip of Riley Blake lime green stripe, top-stitched in place. The straps are sewn into the bottom panel seam instead of going all the way around the bag as in the pattern.



The inside is this fun large scale text print from Windham Fabrics. The seams are encased with bias tape for a neat finish.


The inside pocket is out of the same lime stripe used in the straps. My labels are made by me on my printer. Amateur! I really would like to get some nice, professionally done labels.


I used a zipper from my favorite bag zipper maker - ByAnnie.com. This one is 24" and was just barely long enough!


This is a big bag - about 24" wide and 12" high. To puff it up for these photos, I put a standard bed pillow inside and there was extra room!!





My swap partner has a sweet little girl and I thought it would be fun to send her a little tote bag to match her mama's. (photo bomb by Lucy!)

She posted a picture of her little girl toting her favorite stuffed bunny in the bag which just made me so happy!

It is so rewarding to make a gift for someone with love and care in every fabric selected, every stitch and then see how much they appreciate it!!














And finally, this cute little luggage tag completes the set. It is also in Simplicity pattern #2600, but I just used the pieces and made it differently. I wanted the contrast window to be on the front instead of the back (you can't see it on the back!!)

The Sew Sew Modern swap is fantastic, teeming with talented sewists and quilters. I imagine there will be a #6 - if you are interested then follow @crandons and @quiltingfairy on Flickr to get an invitation to join.

Are you curious as to what I received in the swap? It is so wonderful that it deserves a post of its own...stay tuned!



Linking up to these blogs:

Fort Worth Fabric Studio Blog              


CRAZY MOM QUILTS


Happy Sewing,

Tessa Marie

Follow on Bloglovin

50 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bag. Every detail is just so well done.
    Your label is beautiful, too. Why don't you send it to Spoonflower and have them made with their fabric?
    And I love your little photo bomber. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Both bags are amazing! Love all the details you included!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful!! I may have to go grab that pattern. I have some Arizona fabric coming in that I'm thinking will make a great duffle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly amazing! What a lot of work and care went into this. I love the way you put fabrics together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Tessa - your work is so gorgeous and professional! Your swap partner has to be delighted beyond all get out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bags are beautiful. You did not miss a detail. I love your labels - especially that you made them yourself! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this bag Tessa - the colours, the patchwork. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic bags! I think your label is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sew cute Tessa!! Love the fun colors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Love your duffle bag! Absolutely gorgeous! The tote bag and the luggage tag are so cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bags are both amazing! Your partner must have been thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More than thrilled :) This was like Christmas + my birthday...better even :)

      Delete
  12. Wow you did an awesome job! Love all the details you put in it and the stars on the side panels ... what a lucky swap partner :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Wow - your bags are fabulous! I bet your swap partner was over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you first hand now - she was and still is ;)

      Delete
  14. I have to say how beautiful everything is! Really breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally ahhmazing! This is fabulous. I can't get over the wonderful colors, and your workmanship. Did I mention that I like this bag?

    ReplyDelete
  16. a real beauty and useful at the same time, lucky girl who revieved this, cute little child bag too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely gorgeous and so fun...love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is the COOLEST, most stunning bag ever!!! I love all of the detail you added. The 1" grid quilting shows it all off to perfection, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The bag you gifted is just amazing. It is obvious you thought about every little detail. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great job on the duffle bag!! The fabrics you chose make it so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That duffle bag is awesome....I wish it was mine :) it just spoke to me with all the colors, text prints etc.....

    Peggy in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love love love pieced pockets!!! :) Great bag!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That bag is fantastic Tessa and your attention to the little details is amazing! What a sweet thought to send the little one a bag. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Did you use Annie's soft and stable or some other kind of batting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Pellon fusible fleece on this one.

      Delete
  25. And I would love to know how to make labels on my printer that are colorfast and beautiful. Any chance for a tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  26. the bag looks fantastic, I love the end pockets with stars. I agree that patterns can always do with a bit of tweaking - I struggle to follow any pattern to the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tessa!!! I only just saw that post!!!! You really made us so so so happy with the box full of awesome goodies you sent our way!!! Truely a Christmas-in-July kind of thing :) And please feel free to share any photos that I took if you like :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so amazing!!! You are so talented, I just love looking at you blog and seeing what your next project is. Thank you for sharing your amazing sewing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  29. now this is one absolutely stunning bag. What a great job you did, I'm sure your partner loves it very, very much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a beautiful bag! What a wonderful surprise for your swap partner. It was so thoughtful of you to include an adorable bag for her daughter as well! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful bag! Very lucky swap partner!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your bag is amazing! And the details are exquisite! Your swap mate is a very lucky person!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Tessa you never cease to amaze me. This is beautiful and the canvas on the bottom is BRILLIANT! You were so sweet to think of her little.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is GORGEOUS!!! Funny, I'm so used to getting patterns online that I never think about a "real" pattern from Simplicity or McCalls. I used to spend hours going through the pattern books.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such a ginormous and gorgeous bag! And sweet little tote, too! You have outdone yourself, Tessa Marie. Very, very nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE it Tessa! I'll bet this one was hard to put in the mail. All of these swaps look amazing. I want to be part of the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think I have this pattern - now I need a patchwork one! Gorgeous job on it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That is the cutest bag. I love it. I need a bag like this.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fabulous bag and beautiful color scheme! What measurements did you use for the bottom canvas panel? I'm currently working with this pattern but like you, I'm not a fan of the bottom seam and wanting to add a little more stability.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. I try to respond to all of them, but if time doesn't permit, please know that I read every one and appreciate the time you took to connect with me :)

xo
Tessa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...